What is innovation?
- Corporate innovation means discovering sustainable new business models
- Common myths about innovation
Challenges facing innovation
- Loss aversion creates tension between the need to innovate and the need to protect the status quo in large organizations
- ¶ Innovation theater
- Established organizations tend to optimize for inertia
- Why enterprises can't innovate like startups
- ¶ Martec's Law
- Common innovation anti-patterns
- Tom Brady Principle - Organizations often promote top performers out of positions in which they can make the greatest impact.
Innovation thrives on connection
- Integrate innovation functions with the broader organization
- Innovation cascades
- Ideas are constellations
- Innovation accrues in small, incremental steps. ]
Finding opportunities for innovation
- Change happens gradually, then suddenly.
- Inflection points reveal themselves first at the edges
- Strategic inflection points disrupt the underlying assumptions of a business or industry
- ¶ OODA Loop
- Base strategy on leading, not lagging, indicators
- ¶ Abductive reasoning
- Our vision of the future is always constrained by our view of the past.
- De-risk innovation by making smaller bets
- Work backwards from a long-term vision of the future to define proximate objectives
- Optimize for invalidating ideas.
- ¶ Innovation accounting
- Traditional product roadmaps encourage confirmation bias
- Innovation is management as much as it is creativity
- Leading innovation requires providing a vision and facilitating its execution